Friday 28 September 2012

Balsamic Salmon and Roasted Broccoli


Please excuse this horrible picture. I took it with my phone and posted it on Instagram and since then have been asked repeatedly for this recipe. I'm on a diet plan where I am unable to eat carbs. BOO! Big, huge, loud BOOOO! I love carbs. I love bread, potatoes, pasta...mmmm good.  That being said I've got baby weight to lose so diet I must.  I whipped up this salmon and broccoli Monday night and it was mmm mmm good. When I took this photo I cooked the salmon using my George Foreman Grill, and poured the sauce directly over the salmon. Slightly sweet and tangy, it elevated the salmon and made me forget I was eating diet food.  I can also say the same thing for this broccoli! I know what you are thinking, yummy broccoli is an oxymoron.  Trust me and try it!! I found a version of the broccoli recipe pinned to a friends board on pinterest about a year ago and decided to try it. Ever since then it has been a staple at our dinner table and is the only vegetable my kids will ask for seconds!! Even my husband who hates broccoli loves it!!

Balsamic Glaze for Salmon

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste 

4 salmon fillets

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside. Lightly season salmon fillets with salt and pepper and place on baking sheet. Spray a medium sized skillet with cooking spray over medium heat. Add minced garlic and stir continuously for 1 minute-do not let the garlic burn! Add remaining ingredients and stir continuously until well combined and thickened, about 3 minutes. Pour glaze over prepared salmon. Place salmon in oven for 10-14 minutes, until fish flakes very easily.

Roasted Broccoli

*This recipe is not an exact recipe. You can change it and add things to your taste!!

2-3 heads of broccoli-chopped into individual "trees" (thats what my girls call them)
Kosher Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed with a knife
1/4  cup grated Parmesan cheese
Olive oil

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.  Place desired amount of broccoli on a baking sheet. Sprinkle broccoli with a small amount of olive oil, you want each tree to have some oil on it but not too much. Sprinkle broccoli generously with kosher salt and pepper and toss.  Place smashed garlic on the baking pan in between the chopped broccoli. Place broccoli in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the tips of the broccoli are brown and crispy-the crispy tips are what makes this broccoli delicious! After the broccoli is finished cooking, remove from the oven and sprinkle with a little bit more olive oil, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese. Take the garlic out of the pan and discard.  You can also add toasted pine nuts to the broccoli after they are done cooking for an extra yummy treat!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment