Wednesday 12 September 2012

Take Time to Pause

Have you taken a moment to pause today?

When was the last time you had a moment to just be still and breathe?

These questions forced me to think about the necessity of taking time to pause. Was that something I really needed to do? Why is taking a moment to be still so important to my daily life? If you are anything like me, your last moment of peace is probably a distant memory. As if I don't already have enough to do, now I needed to try and find a moment to sit and be still each day? Not going to happen. I'm way to busy today, tomorrow and next week. Taking a moment to pause would be on my to-do list right between organizing my old photos and learning to sew.

That's how I felt until last week when my baby turned 1. Everyone I knew, myself included, couldn't believe that the 4 pound newborn I brought home from the hospital was already 1 year old. Surely it was just yesterday that she was born! Then it struck me that my first baby, Kelsey, is going to be turning 10 years old in a matter of weeks.  How is it that cute little smarty pants toddler is now a pre-teen? When did the years start flying by like days? I realized in that instant I had not taken enough moments to pause over the last decade of my life. I spend each day rushing kids to school, activities and dentist appointments.  Always racing to the next dance practice or school program. Trying to be there for everyone's next life event but really not being present for any them.

The question is how do you find a moment to pause when all of your time is already taken? I feel like I am already trying to balance Thanksgiving dinner on a salad plate; there is only so much time in the day and as woman our needs are like the dessert after a large meal. It sounds so good but we just don't have room for it. We do so much for our friends, family members and community, why is it we cannot justify taking a moment of pause and peaceful quiet for ourselves each day? If a family member calls who is in trouble we will drop everything to be there to help. If a girlfriend calls crying we stop what we are doing to be that comforting ear to listen.  However, if we do not find peace and quiet in our life we are disregarding our own soul.  We are ignoring our inner need to rest, regroup and re energize our mind with a quiet moment of stillness.  Just to be able to sit, breathe deeply, and be alone with our thoughts will bring a moments peace and tranquility that can carry us through the rest of the chaotic over scheduled day.

As women, let's put ourselves back on our own to do list. Let's prioritize our own well being. We need to make time for us. The first step is taking a moment each day to pause and be still. Block out the world for one minute and connect with your own soul. Breathe. Enjoy the quiet. Take a moment to appreciate life and your blessings. I believe this is the first step in beginning to finding inner peace.  Let's start the journey together. I am willing to put myself back on my own list of priorities. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment