Saturday 16 June 2012

Pet Peeve #1

How much do I hate the term "ashy skin"?

For those of you don't know what ashy skin is (and there might be one or two of you), it is very dry skin that has a white/gray coloring that resembles ash (very similar to the ash after something has been burned).  Ashy skin is most prevalent around the knees, elbows, legs and arms.  Our white friends also suffer from ashy skin, however it is far less noticeable on them simply because their skin is so fair.

Is your skin ashy? Well let's try a little experiment shall we?

Take your finger nail and try to write your name on your arm using only your nail.  If you can read your name on your arm, then congratulations, you are officially ashy.

Obviously there are varying degrees of dry/ashy skin.  Most people living in Utah are going to suffer from dry skin because the climate is so exceptionally dry.  However, it unnerves me when I see young brown skinned children whose skin is so visibly dry you can literally see their ashy knees from across the parking lot at Target.  Now before you get offended, I already know you are going to say "but I put lotion on little Jessie every day! I don't know why her skin is always so ashy!!" If you are a person of brownish/blackish skin, regular old Suave lotion is not going to do anything to keep your skin moisturized. Your standard Aveeno daily skin lotion will help your skin for all of 30 minutes and then they ash will begin to creep back. You need to arm yourself with a more serious line of defense...

Body Butter.

Yes that's right I just changed your life. Body butter is the only solution I have found to combating dry/ashy skin in this very dry state. Just like conditioner, all body butter is not created equal. Here are a few suggested brands I love and trust that will help moisturize your skin and keep you ash free!!





1. The Body Shop Body Butter!!!!!!!! If you have not tried this holy grail of moisturizer, get your keys and go get it right now.  This moisturizer has changed my life. I smooth it on daily after my shower. It absorbs beautifully into my skin and keeps me moisturized and ash free for at least 24 hours.  I have been using this product for years and have converted many friends and family to be proud Body Shop Junkies just like me!

Pros: Works AMAZINGLY WELL; comes in a large assortment of fragrances; they have amazing body washes and scrubs that are soap free (another must to keeping your skin moist); absorbs into the skin quickly.

Cons: It is a little pricey, they typically cost $19 per jar and the jar lasts for about 2 months. That being said they run awesome 2 for 1 deals multiple times a year. This product is typically only sold at The Body Shop stores or online; The Body Shop locations in Utah are at University Mall, The Gateway, and Fashion Place.  Occasionally your can find it at T J Maxx but that is hit or miss.

2. Burts Bees Body Butter. I have tried this product several times before and love the way it works on my girls skin.  Its consistency is less creamy than the body shop body butter so it does not smooth on or absorb as quickly.  That being said it does keep your skin moist all day without having to reapply.

Pros: Available at Target and Walmart everywhere; inexpensive; great for kids.

Cons: I do not love the smell; does not glide onto the skin as smoothly as other products.


3. Yes to Carrots Body Butter. I have heard great reviews of this product and will be trying it out this week (check back for a full review next week).  The first person to leave me a comment on this post will win a free Yes to Carrots Body Butter! I only ask that you let me know how you like it!!

So if you know someone with ashy kids or they themselves struggle with dry skin, pass the word along!! Body butter is the solution!!

3 comments:

  1. I love hearing your "voice" again! And I love that you are sharing this knowledge with all ashy folks around the world(esp Utah). Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than,s Mel!!! And you win the Yes tonCarrots Body Butter!!! I will email you :-)

      Delete
  2. To anyone trying out The Body Shop Body Butter, almond butter and Shea butter scents are to die for!!!! You will smell amazing for hours.

    ReplyDelete