Wednesday 6 June 2012

Why blog about hair?

I'm a Jersey girl born and raised.

I moved to Utah in 1999 to go to college.

I felt like a speck of pepper floating in a glass of milk. People of color were few and far between.

So the first time I was cornered in a grocery store by a white woman with an adopted black daughter I didn't know what to expect.

Did she want to bond with me to help her daughter be connected with someone of her own color?

Did she want to know how I liked living in Utah?

Did she want to know if I felt alone being the only person of color for miles?

NO!

She wanted to know about my hair! How I styled it, what products I used, where she could take her daughter to have her hair done like mine, and on and on. I spoke with the woman for 15 minutes and tried to arm her with as much information as possible. She was grateful but unfortunately still confused. Over the years this situation has happened countless times. Everywhere from restaurants to Target, people with adopted children/foster children/biracial children stop me and ask how to care for ethnic hair. I have had mothers cry because they are at a loss. They want their daughters to look beautiful but they are unable to figure out what to do with their hair!

I understand the issue...really I do.

If your hair looks like this



And your daughters hair looks like this


There is bound to be some confusion!

Enter Tai...thats me ;-)




I am not a hair dresser nor have I gone to beauty school. I do however have extremely thick, long curly hair. I have had a relaxer, and then over a two year period transitioned to natural hair (relaxer and chemical free hair). I have tried as many hair products as I can get my hands on to see how they work with my hair, my children's hair and any one else's hair I am assisting. I have learned tips and tricks to make ethnic hair manageable and beautiful!

This blog is designed to arm you with information to try and make it easier for you to manage your child's hair. It will take you several "trial and error" sessions to find out what will work best for your daughter, but with time and patience, you will succeed!

Please post and leave me any questions you may have. I am just starting this blog and would love to be as helpful as possible!!

No comments:

Post a Comment