Tuesday 10 July 2012

4 Things You Should Do Every Morning

Last month I was listening to an inspirational church talk given by a woman named Sister Julie B. Beck.  Her talk was mainly centered around how to be more Christlike, but the part that struck me the most was a list of 4 simple things she does every morning to start her day off on the right foot. I was amazed at the simplicity of these 4 things, yet the profoundness of them as well. So I started doing her list of 1, 2, 3, 4 and guess what?  My days went a lot smoother. I was a lot calmer with my children.  I smiled more and didn't get so agitated with everything.  After a couple of weeks, I got lazy. I stopped doing the list of 1, 2, 3, 4 and guess what? I' m back to being my easily irritable and agitated self.  So as I try and re-institute this counsel, I ask that you do it with me!! It's free, easy to do, and most importantly changes your outlook on life!!

Sister Beck's List of 1, 2, 3, 4

1. PRAY
Let's start with the basics. You opened your eyes, which means you are alive, you are breathing clean air in and out of your lungs, and your family/friends are also alive and breathing.  That right there is enough to be thankful for.  Take a moment and reflect on your blessings (no matter how big or small) and feel grateful for being given the gift of another day of life. Start your day with a prayer of heartfelt gratitude for everything and everyone in your life.  


2. SPEND TIME IN THE SCRIPTURES
The Bible isn't just for Sunday people. We live in a country where we have freedom of religion and as such we can read whatever religious text we choose without fear of persecution.  Take a moment and read a couple of passages from the scriptures. You may just read something that will inspire you or better yet provide you with the knowledge to provide inspiration to others!

3. MAKE YOUR BED
Sister Beck said, "an unmade bed is an invitation to give up on the day".  Hello!!! How many times have I said, "oh I'm so over today I just want to crawl in bed and start again tomorrow." Making your bed is a small gesture that says I am taking on today and I am not crawling back in this bed until the day is over. Plus a made bed instantly makes your room look clean!

4. GET DRESSED
If you live in my neighborhood you have no doubt seen me in my bright pink bathrobe.  I love it and it loves me. I am ashamed to admit that there are multiple days a week where the morning turns to afternoon and the bathrobe and I are still cozily going about our day. Getting dressed in the morning is another way to show the world (and yourself) that you are ready for anything the day may bring on.  You have metaphorically put on your armor and you are ready for whatever battles may come your way.

Sounds easy right?? Well then why is it I am struggling to do this consistently? I am committing to myself to do 1,2,3,4 for the next 30 days. I love the idea of starting your day with taking a moment to say thank you for all the blessings you have. When you think about it most of us are rich with blessings. We are healthy, we have people who we love and they actually love us back, we have a roof over our head and food to eat. These are all blessings we should give thanks for and not take for granted.

So let's do 1, 2, 3, 4 together!!! I am committing to it. Will you?

1 comment:

  1. Love this tai! I don't think I have ever done all 4 of these in the morning together ( how sad is that?) so tomorrow I will start the 30 day challenge:)

    ReplyDelete